Friday, May 13, 2016

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Sask. flag designer visits Moose Jaw

Anthony Drake from England also raises the flag he designed at police station
Anthony Drake, designer of the Saskatchewan flag,
prepares to raise the flag at the Moose Jaw
police station on May 13, 2016 as Mayor Deb
Higgins and Warren Michelson, MLA for Moose
Jaw North, stand by to watch.
Lisa Goudy/Times-Herald            

By Lisa Goudy

It’s been 47 years since Anthony Drake’s design for the Saskatchewan flag won a provincial contest and now finally he’s receiving recognition.           
“Since it was won and raised, it’s not been mentioned anywhere. Nobody ever said anything. I had the flags in the house and I’d tell people,” said Drake, 75, from England. “It hadn’t had any great impact on me personally other than the fact I was so thrilled I’d won it in the first place, but I’ve been living with that splendid achievement the rest of my life.”
Also in that time, he’d never seen the flag he designed raised in Saskatchewan. But that has all changed now as he is currently visiting Saskatchewan on a three-week tour. He first raised the flag with cadets in Swift Current on Wednesday and then again on Friday at the Moose Jaw police station.
“It’s my treat,” said Drake, moments before raising the flag in Moose Jaw. “It’s something that’s going to be one of the major events in my life. It really is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment