Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Enhancing the reading experience

Empire Community School has new Reading Corner and expanded the library
Doreen Heinbigner, broker/owner of Better
Homes and Gardens Real Estate, (left), along with
other staff members, stands with some Grade 2
students in the new Reading Corner in the Grade
2 classroom at Empire School on May 11, 2016.
Lisa Goudy/Times-Herald

Lisa Goudy
Moose Jaw Times-Herald

When Faithe Sovdi grabs a book, she likes to feel the cover.

“I believe in reading so much. My daughter’s an author,” she said. “Every tie I grab a book, the first thing I do is I get the book in my hands and I have to feel the cover … It just makes you go, ‘Oh, I’ve got to find out what’s going on in this book’ and then I open it up and I read it.

“That’s what I’m hoping all of this does for our kids here, that it just wakes up that spark and make you want to read more and go on adventures. I have been with Bilbo Baggins to that mountain more times than I can tell you because I love that kind of stuff.”

On Wednesday, Sovdi, principal at Empire Community School, was on hand to present two plaques. The first was to Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate for sponsoring a reading corner and about 500 books in the Grade 2 classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment