Monday, April 18, 2016

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Council narrowly approves LIP construction bylaw

Vote was 4-3; bylaw will return for final approval in two weeks 
Justin Hammer, a concerned resident and real
estate agent, addresses his concerns and the
concerns outlined in an online petition
signed by more than 1,000 residents at
the April 18, 2016 council meeting.
Lisa Goudy/Times-Herald

By Lisa Goudy

Council chambers were filled with concerned residents voicing their opposition to the local improvement program for cast iron water main replacement.

Council previously approved the LIP in a vote of 4-3 and the Saskatchewan Municipal Board approved the city’s 2016 application in early March. At Monday’s council meeting, the cast iron water main construction bylaw for phase one was introduced.

“People won’t be charged until the program’s complete because then you know the exact costs,” said city manager Matt Noble after the meeting. “If we don’t pass the construction bylaw, we won’t get the project in the ground.”

The non-petitionable LIP would see property owners directly affected by the work paying an additional 30 per cent to pay for cast iron water main replacement. All residents will pay the remaining 70 per cent. Any property owners who are unable to pay the extra cost upfront can add the cost to their property taxes over a period of 20 years with a four per cent interest rate.

However, ever since the project was considered, there has been opposition and that opposition was evident when many residents addressed council.

No comments:

Post a Comment