Friday, March 4, 2016

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: ‘Bridging the gap’ between Aboriginals and non-Aboriginals

Aboriginal Awareness Week taking place from Monday to Thursday this week in Caronport

By Lisa Goudy

Kallie Wood is a First Nations’ ‘60s Scoop Child.

“I was taken at birth and assimilated and adopted into white culture,” said Wood, Aboriginal director at Caronport High School and Briercrest College and Seminary. “I guess I feel very humbled and very blessed with the life that I’ve had as far as having opportunity to basically live both sides of the coin. So I was raised in a white environment but am First Nation.”

She added that her experiences have made her a “more caring and giving” person regarding “the care and candor that you have going forward and to have a better understanding and the forgiveness of people for their stories.”

No comments:

Post a Comment