Friday, August 31, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: A birthday like no other

By Lisa Goudy


Today is the day I turn another year older.

Having a birthday on Aug. 31, the last day of August, has certainly had its pros and cons over the years. My birthday today is different from all other birthdays in two important ways. It is my first birthday living away from home and my first birthday without any type of attachment to school.

Birthdays have always been exciting for me and I’ve always had fun with my family and friends, usually doing an activity and having supper. Supper options have included a wiener roast, a special homemade meal or going out to a restaurant. In 2010, I spent my actual birthday in New York City with my parents and my sister and when we got back, I got together with friends to celebrate again.

But trust me, not all of my birthdays were as grand as hanging out in the Big Apple. In fact, there have been two things that have always irritated me in regards to the timing of my birthday — people saying it is the end of the summer heat and going back to school.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment