Friday, August 17, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Nothing quite like a homemade meal

By Lisa Goudy


This past week I’ve been enjoying some homemade chicken tortilla soup.

Thanks to my loving mother, I have been able to enjoy this heartwarming soup. Since I love lots of different soups, I was especially overjoyed.

I have always been a fan of home cooked meals. Having been relatively spoiled for as long as I can remember with the sublime excellence of my grandmother’s cooking, my mother’s cooking and my father’s barbecuing skills, it’s not hard to guess why I’m probably accustomed to homemade meals.

It seems to me that there is an increasing number of young people who aren’t cooking anymore and relying more on restaurant food and bought treats. Now I’m not against eating out by any means and there are a lot of fantastic restaurants around that you should certainly check out.

But there really is nothing quite like a home-cooked meal. It is too bad more young people aren’t at least trying to cook.

I wouldn’t call myself a great cook. I wouldn’t call myself a bad cook either. I figure I’m somewhere in between. I know how to follow recipes and when I cook dinner, my meals all taste good. I also make my own lunches nearly every day, which aren’t complicated. They usually consist of a bun or a croissant with some fruit and yogurt or pudding and a granola bar. However, it tastes great and saves me money as an added bonus.

Yet in my experience, young people are more likely to bring bought cookies to a potluck than homemade ones or eat out rather than cook at home. Why the trend has shifted to that, I can’t say for sure, but if young people slowly stop cooking, there might come a day when nobody home cooks at all, which would be a shame.

Read more



Useful links
From my column: "In June 2011, the Public Health Agency of Canada released a report from data collected between 2007 and 2009 that stated one in four Canadian adults are obese.
Of children between the ages of six and 17, 8.6 per cent are obese. The report stated that factors that influence obesity include lack of physical activity, socioeconomic status and diet, among other things."
View the report here
Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada released an article on the risks of obesity and how to minimize the risk. View the article here

1 comment: