Monday, August 13, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Language watchdogs to inspect bilingual services


By Lisa Goudy
I like to think that no matter what language you speak, you’ll be treated equally. I like to think the same goes for where you’re from or what nationality or religion you are or any other of the many differences we have.
I know that I don’t discriminate against people who are different from me. I’d like to think that here in Canada where we have two official languages, this is certainly a fact.
But just because I like to think something doesn’t mean it’s true. I read a story on CBC’s website about language watchdogs who will go undercover at eight major airports in Canada this fall - Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Vancouver. The point of this is to see if travelers are served just as well in English and French, including proper signage displayed in the airports. I hope the results come back as an astounding yes.
Read the story on the CBC website here

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the results will be. Great column again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully positive, but I can't say for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete