Friday, March 28, 2014

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Learning the character of porcelain

MJMAG to hold upcoming porcelain workshop with Antoinette Badenhorst
Antoinette Badenhorst, a potter who currently
lives in Saltillo, Miss., will present an advanced
demonstration workshop for professional artists
 called porcelain: understand, master and
challenge at the Moose Jaw Museum and
Art Gallery (MJMAG) on April 5 and 6.
Times-Herald photo by Lisa Goudy

By Lisa Goudy


Working with porcelain reminds artist Antoinette Badenhorst of working with people.

“For me it’s like learning a personality. If I just met you, I don’t know much about you, but as I start getting to know you a little bit, I know how I can talk to you,” she said. “I will know if I say something specifically it might make you sad or it might make you happy. Porcelain is kind of like that.

“What really makes it difficult is the fact that it’s so temperamental with water specifically. It looks extremely thirsty when you look at it to start with and then the minute you give it a little too much water, it becomes drunk and … it collapses on you.”

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment