Friday, September 13, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Don’t let fears be the boss over us all

By Lisa Goudy


I have a slight case of spheksophobia. Spheksophobia is the Latin word for fear of wasps.

This might seem strange considering I’ve never been stung by a wasp and hopefully I never will. But I am slightly afraid of wasps. Yet I have not, am not and will not let that small fear stop me from being outside and enjoying it because I love the outdoors a lot. Everyone is afraid of something, but you can’t let it stop you from living. Life is too short for that.

According to the website www.fearofstuff.com, people with spheksophobia get “extremely agitated when they are exposed to wasps and their nests. They will flee and often their panicked response makes them an even bigger target for angry wasps, who are far more likely to sting those who make a commotion.” It added other symptoms are nausea, dizziness and feelings of “doom and terror.”

I don’t get extremely agitated nor do I feel nauseous, dizzy, or like the world’s biggest terror is descending upon me when a wasp approaches. I don’t have an extreme fear of wasps.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment