Sunday, September 29, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: From hoop dancing to creating chairs

Culture Days events held at WDM, Cultural Centre
Terrence Littletent,  world championship hoop dancer
from the Kawacatoose First Nation, demonstrates hoop
dancing with audience members as part of Culture Days
at the Western Development Museum on Saturday.
Times-Herald photo by Lisa Goudy

By Lisa Goudy


Hoop dancing has special meaning for Terrence Littletent.

“Hoop dancing, it’s a way of life for me. It’s just not a dance. It’s a way of life,” said Littletent, world championship hoop dancer from the Kawacatoose First Nation. “I’ve been doing it for many years and through my travels, I recreate the story as I go along. Everybody walks this journey of life and takes bits and pieces to create their story. So that’s how I took the story and created my own story through the hoop dance.”

Littletent shared the First Nations culture dance outside of the Moose Jaw Western Development Museum (WDM) on Saturday as part of Moose Jaw’s participation in Canada Culture Days this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment