Friday, September 20, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: New Miss America showcases diverse culture

By Lisa Goudy


When I first heard the new Miss America has Indian heritage, my first reaction was: It’s about time.

Earlier this week it was announced 24-year-old Nina Davuluri, who was named Miss New York 2013, won the title of Miss America 2013. She is the first woman with an Indian background to win the title.

I rarely pay attention to the winners of these pageants. It’s just not one of my interests and I am of the opinion beauty pageants define what is considered beautiful, which degrades anyone who looks different. After all, it’s what’s inside that truly makes us beautiful.

Even so, this story caught my eye.

I think it’s great she won. Regardless of what I or anyone else think of beauty pageants or the “ideal beauty,” it still tells us something about society.

Read more

1 comment: