Friday, March 6, 2015

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Thinking of the miners killed

By Lisa Goudy

Surrounded by the dark abyss, my heart rate picked up.

I could no longer see the light. The walls seemed to close in faster and faster. A wave of lightheadedness overcame my body. I sat with my head between my knees for a while before we headed up back into the sunlight. Just like that, all of those feelings were gone.

I toured the Goldfield Mine several years ago in Arizona. I really enjoyed hearing about the history, but the tour lasted 25 minutes. As time elapsed, I realized I was slightly claustrophobic.

While I have since overcome my claustrophobia, I still think if I were down working in a mine, I don’t believe I’d be comfortable with it and all of the dangers involved.

And there are risks for mine workers. On Wednesday, a methane gas explosion in a coalmine in eastern Ukraine killed at least 24 workers and nine are missing.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment