Friday, July 19, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Stories shouldn’t sink with sunken ships

By Lisa Goudy

I’ve always had a fascination with sunken ships.

I really can’t explain why, but for whatever reasons the stories, photos and other information regarding sunken ships holds a particular allure for me. So of course I was genuinely interested to learn more about the Empress of Ireland at the travelling exhibit that was at the Moose Jaw Western Development Museum last weekend.

Of course sunken ships isn’t for everyone. Neither is history. But as Pascale Saint-Amand, project manager with the Site historique maritime de la Pointe-au-Per who was available to answer questions at the exhibit, pointed out you never know what old documents, artifacts and lists might come in handy. If you find something you should contact a museum to discuss it further.

Sharing stories from the past are important and they are intriguing to many people, as well as play a role in remembering our past to help shape our future. That’s why it’s imperative we keep telling our stories and, in the case of the news media, telling other people’s stories.

I’m thrilled to say I’ve shared what I believe to be a great story about the R.M.S. Titanic. 

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment