Thursday, September 20, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Slow down when passing highway workers


By Lisa Goudy

I am constantly amazed by how many people speed through construction zones on the highway.

It’s right in the middle of construction season and, yes, there are highways that need the road repairs. Even though there always seems to be construction when the weather is nice, the work the workers do is important to keep our highways in the best condition possible.

I say that I am amazed, not that I am surprised. People speed regularly, especially on highways. I know this because I make sure to always drive the speed limit and there are constantly cars passing me when I drive on the highway. What bothers me is when there are those orange zones with people working on the roads and people just go whizzing by.

It’s not too much to ask for drivers to slow down to 60 kilometres an hour when passing workers on the highway. Not only is it terrifying for the workers in the highway construction zones, also called orange zones, but also not slowing down can and has resulted in something even worse — death.

Close to the end of August, 18-year-old Ashley Dawn Richards from Lakeside, N.B., was killed while she was working as a flag person near Midale, Saskatchewan on Highway 39.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment