Thursday, September 22, 2016

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Seeking to change the election act

Ernie Penney ineligible to run for council because of where he lives
Lisa Goudy/Times-Herald
Ernie Penney stands with nomination papers

outside city hall. However, since he lives a
mile and a half outside city limits, he
isn’t eligible to run for city council.

By Lisa Goudy


Ernie Penney has always lived in the Moose Jaw area, but because he lives a mile and a half outside city limits, he can’t run for city council.

“From my house, I can hear the sirens. I can hear the traffic. I can hear everything. I can see the city… Streets, sewer, water, it all has an impact on where I farm. I’m downstream from the City of Moose Jaw,” said Penney.

Yet as legislation currently stands, because of where he lives, he isn’t eligible to run for city council. These provisions are outlined in provincial legislation.
 
Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment