Friday, June 19, 2015

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Exploring implications of genocide

Storyteller Peter Midgley will be at the 2015 FOW
Peter Midgley will be doing an editing
workshop and Storytime for Little Ones at
the 2015 Saskatchewan Festival of Words.
Submitted photo 

By Lisa Goudy

Peter Midgley grew up at the tail end of apartheid in Africa.

“That, of course, shapes a lot of what I write about. Actually in Counting Teeth, which is a book in which I take my … daughter – she’s 18 at the time – and we go back to revisit Namibia, the country where I was born. So it’s partly to show her where I was born, but at the same time, to look at what has happened in more or less 20 years of independence,” he said.

“At the time that I go back is when they agreed with the German government to return 70 skulls that had been taken to Europe during the genocide of 1904 to 1908.”

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment