Friday, May 31, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Dealing with stress

By Lisa Goudy


Some things have a tendency to sneak up on you.

As a student, deadlines for assignments, projects and tests are suddenly there. As an employee, deadlines still can sneak up you if you’re not prepared.

But what I think is really dangerous is how stress can sneak up on you — sometimes without you even knowing it. It varies for everyone how stress manifests, but it negatively affects your health. We need to recognize stress, relax and learn how to better manage stress. I too need to listen to my own advice more often. I’ve always known my neck and my shoulders get sore easily. I do my best to sit in proper posture when I’m at a desk or looking at a computer, but after a day of work, particularly a long one, I often still feel the sting in my shoulders and neck. The case was the same when I was in school.

So I go back home and relax, even using a neck pillow. When I started doing yoga almost a year ago, I found it really helped me relax and become less tense in my neck and shoulders. After every yoga practice any pain I might have had is released.

Naturally when I had the chance to get a massage the other day I requested a neck and shoulders massage. It felt really good, but what I didn’t expect was just how bad the knots in my neck and shoulders really were.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment