Monday, February 25, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: New perspectives to avoid commercialization temptations

Feb. 15 column

By Lisa Goudy


I think I understand why some people dislike Valentine’s Day.

With Valentine’s Day come and gone yet again for another year, undoubtedly many people have spent a significant portion of money on gifts or something else special for their special someone. With everything now at discounted prices more money will be spent on gifts. The most common reason I hear people saying they don’t like Valentine’s Day is because it is a commercial holiday. This is not a lie.

In an age of capitalism, every holiday has become commercialized including Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and Halloween. From that point of view, knowing Valentine’s Day is simply a money grab, I can see why people might dislike it. Now that Valentine’s Day is over, all of the items are probably already on discounted prices.

Personally I’ve spent hardly anything for Valentine’s Day. Given, I have never been in a relationship when Valentine’s Day rolls around, but I doubt that will change when I get into a relationship with a guy.

We need to garner a new perspective on our relationships to help avoid the temptation of commercialization of everything in our entire lives before, after and during a holiday. 

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment