Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Local Grade 12 student presented with volunteerism award

By Lisa Goudy
Mayor Glenn Hagel presents Grade 12 student Michael Minall with an award for his volunteerism on Tuesday at Timothy Eaton Center. Times-Herald photo by Lisa Goudy

His hard childhood lifestyle was what inspired Michael Minall to first start volunteering.

“By the time (I was in) Grade 9, I really had nowhere to live,” said Minall. “It really just progressed me to fight for houses that kids can actually go to and … when you’re experiencing things as you’re growing up that are really, really hard, you either find yourself or you lose yourself and you walk a very fine line between both.

“I was just one of the lucky ones that found myself,” he added. “I want to help more kids find themselves (as they experience the hardships of growing up).”

The Grade 12 Riverview Collegiate student has been volunteering in Moose Jaw for the past four years. 


Additional comments from Michael Minall

"I want the people to love and respect each other," said Minall. "I want somebody to look at somebody who's a different colour and be like, 'Hey, you're my brother' and look at a girl who's a different colour and be like, 'Hey, you're my sister,' even though we're not."

He added that through his volunteer work, he wants to give youth something to do.

"What I've tried to do is make the lives of the youth in Moose Jaw from my generation onward to have something to do and almost seem like it means something," said Minall.

No comments:

Post a Comment