Friday, November 18, 2011

Leader-Post: No tickets issued at Occupy Regina


While the City of Regina gave Occupy Regina protesters a deadline of Saturday to leave the park, no tickets were issued as of late Monday.

Read more


Additional comments

"I honestly think that the best that could come of this is that people in Saskatchewan, our policy makers start taking homelessness seriously because it’s a rampant problem in Regina," said Jeff Knievel, an Occupy Regina protester who hasn't been sleeping overnight.

He added that rent continues to increase.


Despite giving Occupy Regina protesters eviction notices
last week, the city has yet to issue any tickets.

Photograph by: Michael Bell, Regina Leader-Post files



"I think that (the city is) genuinely concerned about people’s safety this winter. I mean, I don’t want to camp outside in the winter time and I think it’s dangerous in Saskatchewan, but there are people who have no choice," said Knievel. "I respect the rights of those who want to voluntarily put themselves in someone else’s position and assume the risks that come along with it.

"If some kind of government is willing to make a stand and start doing something in the way of actually solving the homelessness problem in Saskatchewan instead of just the problem I would say yeah, our movement is done. We can go away."

No comments:

Post a Comment