Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Leader-Post: HEROES program builds youth self-esteem

Murray and Shannon Lutzer, volunteers for the Impact
Society, a group that helps teens.

Photography by: Bryan Schlosser, Regina Leader-Post
Robb Nash was only 17 years old when he should have died.

Read more


Impact Society website

Robb Nash Official website (and introductory video)

Robb Nash - Facebook


Robb Nash on his inspirations for getting involved:

"It started off with one simple phone call when I decided that I wanted to do something special with my life and my first gut instinct - we all have that voice inside of us - my first gut instinct was to find the semi driver, phone him and tell him that I made it, that I survived and I was able to contact him.I got his number from the police.

"When I phoned him, he had still thought I was dead from the accident and he was in therapy. He was a psychologist. He was on medication for depression because of what happened. The accident wasn't his fault. It was our fault, but there was this cloud over top of him because he saw his semi had run me over. He killed me.

"You could feel his cloud dissipate when he found out I was okay, that I survived and after that I hung up the phone and I thought, 'I want to do more of this and I want others to get the feeling of what it's like to live your life for others and doing things for other people."

Further explanation from Murray Lutzer on the bottle of water example used in class:

"We have three walls that we put around the gifts and abilities that actually fit around the water, which is great because it shows yeah, ok, you can't see the gifts and abilities anymore because it's up by a wall, a wall we have created because of our circumstances or our fears or the words people have given us," said Lutzer. "We really encourage the kids to explore what their wall is and they're the only ones that can take it down. We can only take them so far."

No comments:

Post a Comment