Monday, August 19, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Respect anniversary of Flight 255 plane crash

By Lisa Goudy


I’ve flown on planes many times before.

Having embarked on planes across Canada and to three other countries in the world, I’m all too familiar with the routine. I’ve flown across land-locked areas. I’ve flown across oceans. I’ve been fortunate in that I’ve never been in an airplane disaster. I realize they do happen, but that knowledge isn’t going to stop me from getting on a plane again. You can’t live in fear.

But these tragedies do happen and when they do we need to pay proper homage and respect to the families and friends of those who died and to those who survived. We can’t forget about major tragedies or we have lost contact with what makes us human.

Exactly 26 years ago today, Aug. 16, 1987, the Northwest Airlines plane McDonnel Douglas DC-9-82 Flight 255 left Saginaw for Detroit, Phoenix and Santa Ana, according to the Aviation Safety Network website. The plane arrived in Detroit at 7:42 p.m. and Detroit departure was delayed. At 8:42 p.m. the plane was told to go into position on runway 3C and hold.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment