Monday, April 27, 2015

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Documenting life in The Days Run Away

Local writer Robert Currie releases seventh book of poetry
Local author Robert Currie shows off his latest
book of poetry, The Days Run Away, on April 27, 2015.
Lisa Goudy/Times-Herald

By Lisa Goudy

Robert Currie remembers what it was like helping his friend, Gary Hyland, as he struggled with ALS.


Hyland, a celebrated Saskatchewan writer and teacher, died in 2011 at the age of 70. Currie, local writer, dedicated his recent book of poems, The Days Run Away, to Hyland.

“The last section I wrote as my way of dealing with my grief over his horrendous struggle with ALS, which my wife and I saw a lot of because we used to look after him one night a week to give his wife a break,” said Currie. “So, in a sense, we were struggling with it too …(Hyland’s wife) did such a tremendous job looking after him.”

Read more


No comments:

Post a Comment