Friday, March 15, 2013

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Slainte (cheers) to you this St. Patrick's Day

By Lisa Goudy


Beannachtai Na Feile Padraig Oraibh! St. Patrick’s Day blessing upon you!

I’ve always liked St. Patrick’s Day. I’ve always enjoyed wearing green and eating green foods such as green Jell-o or green peppers. I have a green bowtie I usually wear and last year I bought a St. Patrick’s Day shirt. Leprechauns, pot of gold and celebrations with family and friends is tantalizing to say the least.

I’m also part Irish. So to me it makes sense to celebrate and have a little fun with it. Even though I’m of the Mennonite faith (as I’m also part German) and not the Roman Catholic one, celebrating each March 17 is always a good time to be had. The best part is that no matter your ethnicity, religious or non-religious backgrounds, many people take part in St. Patrick’s Day celebrations around the world.

St. Patrick’s Day actually has a long-standing history. The Irish have celebrated it annually on March 17 for more than 1,000 years. The day is a celebration of patron Saint Patrick who lived in the fifth century.

Read more

1 comment: