Thursday, November 22, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: No over-the-top hype for 100th Grey Cup

By Lisa Goudy


With all of the snow and talk of snow removal, it’s easy to forget that the 100th Grey Cup is on Sunday.

Or maybe that’s just me. Since I’m such a diehard Saskatchewan Roughriders fan, as soon as we’re out of the playoffs I stop paying attention. Sure, I’ll hear who wins what games, but I don’t watch them.

Sometimes I’ll tune in to watch the halftime performance, but I won’t even be doing that this year simply because of who’s performing. The performers are Carly Rae Jepsen, Marianas Trench and Justin Bieber. Bieber is being billed as one of the biggest names in music today. Yes, I’ll admit it. I am not a Justin Bieber fan.

The centennial-year Grey Cup game will be held in Toronto, and the Toronto Argonauts will face off against the Calgary Stampeders. Yet, there doesn’t seem to be a large buzz about it in Toronto. Oddly enough, most of the recent articles pertaining to the Grey Cup were not actually in Toronto, with the exception of The Globe and Mail.

In fact, when I was searching the term “100th grey cup” on Google on Thursday, the number one news item that came up was from The Ottawa Citizen followed by the CBC. You’d think that with such a significant anniversary of the championship game in the CFL, there would be more news hype in Toronto.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment