Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: 20 Questions with: Russ McKnight

Russ McKnight. Times-Herald photo by Lisa Goudy
By Lisa Goudy

As Volunteer Week draws to a close, the Times-Herald sat down with Russ McKnight, a member of 31 different volunteer groups and the chairman of more than 800 activities in Moose Jaw, to ask him 20 questions. McKnight is a former employee at the Valley View Centre and is retired in Moose Jaw.

1. On average, how many hours a week do you volunteer? "Oh, I'd say probably between 40 to 50."

2. Do you ever think that you volunteer for too many hours and why? "No. Well, now that I'm retired I can do more."

3. Why do you volunteer? "Well, a lot of it's to do with the people, that I meet a lot of people that are quite outgoing. Like I'm involved quite a bit with theatre and music. The singing."

4. What is the biggest reward for volunteering? "Well, the more you take on, the more you achieve and the more satisfactions you have, really. And like I say, a lot of it's meeting and working with other people."

5. Who or what was your inspiration to start volunteering in the first place? "I've been pretty well involved all my life, ever since I was a kid. We were doing stuff at school and at an early age, I was out doing stuff with the Y and the Cub Scouts and involved in band programs and music programs."

For more information, read the April 21st edition of the Times-Herald.

National Volunteer Week - Volunteer Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment