Thursday, September 29, 2011

Leader-Post: Grimson to receive award


By Lisa Goudy

 Despite having lived in Boston for 36 years where he heads up one of the world's most famous universities, Eric Grimson has not forgotten the small city he once called home.
"Growing up (in Saskatchewan), in retrospect, I think it gave me a strong appreciation of the role that other people play in helping you succeed," he said. "The fact that it's hard to succeed without other people helping you and the fact that we're all in some ways dependent on each other for the well being of the community."
Eric Grimson, a Saskatchewan native, who is now
chancellor at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology (MIT)

Photograph by: MIT, Handout



"I don't think I've lost my roots," said Grimson, who grew up in Estevan and is now chancellor of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). 

"I've lived in the U.S. now longer than I have in Canada, but I am and still consider myself to be a Canadian and I really value what I got from growing up in a place like Estevan, going to college at a place like U of R."

Grimson lived in Estevan before moving to Regina between his Grade 10 and Grade 11 years. He finished high school at Campbell Collegiate before going to the University of Regina to get his bachelor of science degree in mathematics and physics with high honours in 1975.

Grimson will be back at U of R for its homecoming this weekend where he will be presented with the 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award at the Alumni Crowning Achievement awards dinner on Saturday.

While the University of Regina was a much smaller school during his time there than it is today, Grimson can still recall the influence faculty members had on him that have greatly contributed to what he has accomplished today.

"I enjoyed my time at the U of R," he said. "As a student interested in pursuing graduate studies, being in a small place, I had an opportunity to interact with faculty in a way that I might not have had at a much bigger school, so I have very fond remembrances of a set of faculty - especially in the math department - that had great influence on me, gave me great advice, really challenged me.

"It is . partly why I love my current job, because it's my opportunity to try and have a similar influence on a set of students who come from all around the world."

After getting his degree from the U of R, Grimson went to MIT in Boston for his doctoral work. He began teaching there in 1984. On Feb. 10, he was appointed chancellor of MIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment