Thursday, November 10, 2016

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Remembering through peace

By Lisa Goudy

I do not believe in war.


As a Mennonite, I firmly believe that taking up arms against others isn’t something we should do. I believe in peace. 

Every year when red poppies start adorning people's jackets, lapels and pockets, I'm always sure to pin my poppy on the left hand side of my chest, but I always add another button from the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) with a symbol of a dove on it that reads, “To remember is to worka for peace.” I feel it’s essential to wear both.War is not the answer. It only leads to bloodshed and death on both sides. Their individual sacrifices can’t be forgotten and working for peace is the best way to honour their memory. By spreading compassion, we inspire hope.

On a personal note, I have a few family connections to war on both sides of my family.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment