Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Higgins elected first female mayor

Fraser Tolmie congratulates mayor elect Deb
Higgins after the election results came in
Wednesday evening at city hall.
Times-Herald photo by Lisa Goudy

By Lisa Goudy

Deb Higgins was all smiles as she was voted Moose Jaw’s first female mayor Wednesday.

“(I’m) pretty excited. It was a very tight race. The numbers were very close all night long. (I) finally had a little bit of breathing room with the very last polls,” said Higgins. “It was a little tighter in some of the areas than I thought it was going to be, but you know what, the end result was wonderful and we’ve got a very good mix of experience and new people on council and (I’m) looking forward to the next four years.”

In the initial results after Wednesday evening, Higgins received 53 per cent of the votes (5,239 votes) while Fraser Tolmie received 46 per cent (4,645 votes). Higgins said that being a lifelong resident of the city and her community involvement played a part in why people voted for her.

“I think also we ran a very good campaign that spoke to the issues people are concerned about with the infrastructure, with housing, made comments about Valley View,” said Higgins. “I mean, they’re all things that are important to the city of Moose Jaw and I think my campaign actually addressed a number of those issues or focused on them so that we know they’re a going to be a priority over the next four years.”

Higgins will be Moose Jaw’s 51st mayor.

Read more

1 comment:

  1. That is really great! I was hoping she would be elected.

    ReplyDelete