Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Leader-Post: Drummer Mitch Dorge interacts with Regina students

Crash Test Dummies drummer Mitch Dorge with grade eight
student Kaitlyn Tonita as he talks to students at Douglas Park
school in Regina on Dec 06, 2011.

Photograph by: Don Healy, Regina Leader-Post
Mitch Dorge was filled with energy as he captivated students Tuesday morning.

Read more


Additional Comments and Related Links

Mitch Dorge: "You have to build a level of trust and if you’re going to build trust with kids, you more or less got to show them that you’re a little crazier than they are and kids like crazy. They like something that’s off the wall and I want to build that trust with them.

Crash Test Dummies drummer Mitch Dorge gave an
interactive presentation to students at Douglas Park
school in Regina on Dec 06, 2011.

Photograph by: Don Healy, Regina Leader-Post
"I want to let them know, ‘Hey, you know what, we’re on the same plane here. I’m just as crazy as you guys are. I’m not the adult. I just happen to be someone who’s been on the planet longer, that’s all.’ And I want them to feel that. I want them to feel that I’m not standing up here as the adult, as the lecturer.

"I want them to be comfortable with the idea that I’m one of you. I just happen to be living longer, that’s all. I’m not the wise and all knowing. Challenge me on anything. I’m just letting you know that I’m silly. But I’m happy, that’s the other point.

"Now when I’ve gained that trust, then I’m hoping that I’ll say, ‘Now I’ve shown you that I’m trustworthy now let me get to the subject matter and at least they’re going to lend me their ears.

"So it’s building trust and then it’s trying to give them a message in a way that they haven’t heard it before and it’s more serious, but it’s okay to be serious because we’ve laughed. We’ve got some energy out. It’s dispersed," said Dorge.

Crash Test Dummies drummer Mitch Dorge gave an
interactive presentation to students at Douglas Park
 school in Regina on Dec 06, 2011.

Photograph by: Don Healy, Regina Leader-Post
Cory Shaeffer, sales associate with the Co-operators: "The reason that we have brought Mitch into town and are taking him around to the schools is this is the Co-operators’ way of giving back to the community.

"We feel that it’s very important to educate our youth on these types of issues — on drugs, alcohol, and decision-making, goal setting— because they are our future and by bringing this positive message in, this is encouraging our future to grow."

Schaeffer added that he has been working with Dorge since 2007.

"I wish we could’ve brought him into town sooner and hopefully we can bring him into more schools in the city in the next little while because his message has been very well received and again, we at the Co-Operators think it’s a very important message to deliver to today’s youth," said Schaeffer.


Crash Test Dummies drummer Mitch Dorge gave an
interactive presentation to students at Douglas Park
 school in Regina on Dec 06, 2011.

Photograph by: Don Healy, Regina Leader-Post

Lynell Streifel, vice-principal of Douglas Park Elementary School: "I think there was an important message here today. I think the kids really enjoyed it. The presentation was amazing.

"Things like this need to happen in schools. We need to get out. Community members need to support our kids and it was a really wonderful experience for kids and staff and the school and the community."

She said she believes presentations like Dorge's are important for the kids.

"I think the kids hear it from us all the time and we do a really good message of trying to get them to think about the world they live in, the role they play in it and what they can do to make it a better place, but it’s nice to be able to hear it from somebody else," said Streifel.

Related Links

Mitch Dorge's website

Teens Against Drinking and Driving

Drug Abuse Resistance Education

Help Jacqui

Jacqui Saburido was a victim of a car crash caused by a drunk driver. She is alive, but she is disfigured for life. Check out the website to learn her story and to drive the point home.

 Video: Mitch Dorge drumming in one of his presentations

 

No comments:

Post a Comment