Thursday, January 13, 2011

1st INK Article


INK Article - RCMP cuts air marshal program

Photo by Lisa Goudy

I just finished posting my very first article on INK online. It was definitely a learning experience, from finding the idea for the story to posting the final version on the Internet.

When I was assigned to the federal beat for INK this semester, I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I was up for it. I had a week to find a story idea so naturally my eyes and ears were open to anything that might be of interest.

I didn't find my story idea until the day before the one-day assignment. I noticed an article that mentioned that the RCMP were going to make severe cuts to the air marshal program and they were expecting international criticism for this decision. When I looked into it further, I knew at once this was the story I wanted to do.


Photo by Lisa Goudy
 Deadline day rolled around and the story itself came together quite nicely. I called the Regina Division of the RCMP for a place to start and the media relations officer was kind enough to return my phone call within an hour and a half. He gave me the number of the media relations officer in Ottawa I should talk to. I very much appreciated his assistance.

When I called the number he gave me, I was lucky to catch the receiving officer on the line. She politely told me that she was sending by email a prepared document from the RCMP that all media inquiries received. The RCMP was making no further comment on the matter. I gave her my email and sure enough, within minutes, the statement was sitting in my inbox. 


Photo by Lisa Goudy

I had also interviewed random students at the University of Regina for a public opinion on this issue. I ended up with three successful interviews with some good quotes. After I took some pictures at the airport and grabbed a bite to eat, I sat down at my computer station and got to work.

I was done easily by the deadline without much stress. After editing my draft earlier today, I posted it on INK Online, which wasn't that difficult. My main struggle was uploading my picture to go with my article. The computer I originally used at home had trouble uploading my picture, but I was able to get it up and running quickly on my laptop. 


Photo by Lisa Goudy
With a couple of phone calls, three unsuspecting students, a few hours at the computer, and pasta for lunch all in one day, I was ready to go. So here I am, reflecting on this experience, with a satisfactory feeling coursing through my body. It sure feels good at the end of the day, making everything totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment