Friday, March 28, 2014

Moose Jaw Times-Herald: Lisa's Corner: Lend a hand to fight hunger

By Lisa Goudy


I do not know what it is like to starve. I have been to the point of my stomach rumbling because I need to eat. I know what that’s like and, when I get the chance, I will go to my fridge or a restaurant or a grocery store to get some food.

But I do not know what it is like to be truly hungry when those aren’t options. We are lucky to live in a place like Canada. We hear about children and adults starving in places like Africa, Haiti and other developing countries, but often forget people in Canada starve too.

According to the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. Worldwide, a total of 842 million people don’t have enough to eat, a decrease of 17 per cent since 1990. Of those, 827 million live in developing countries.

I wish everyone were well fed. I wish no one starved to death. Unfortunately, I know those wishes aren’t realistic and the statistics are horrifying. That’s why it’s even more important that we do something about it.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment